Early Head Start serves pregnant women and children from birth to age three and their families.
Early Head Start services for children promote school readiness, and include early education, health, nutrition, mental health, and services for children with special needs. Services for parents promote family engagement, and include parent leadership and social service supports.
The goals of Early Head Start:
- To promote healthy prenatal outcomes for pregnant women
- To promote children’s social competence and school readiness by enhancing the social, cognitive, physical and emotional development of children
- To engage parents in their children’s learning and as the primary nurturers of their children
- To help parents in making progress toward their goals (e.g., educational, literacy and employment), and
- To involve parents in program decisions and development